1500 engine differences?

To: nass@yahoogroups.com, spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: 1500 engine differences?
From: "Joe Guinan" <spitfirejoe@email.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 07:06:12 +0800
What are the differences between the 1976 (and earlier) 1500 engines and the
1977 (and later) models.  My understanding is that the later motors had dished
pistons and a lower compression ration, but almost everything else was the same
as the earlier engines.  I am assuming there will be some differences in
anti-pollution fittings, etc. on the outside of the engine.  What I'm talking
about are the internal differences.  Are cams different?  Cranks? Bearings?

Another guy and I are in the same boat.  We have spare 1976 engines to put in
our later model Spits.  We just want to know if we are going to be able to drop
them right in.

Thanks in advance!

Joe Guinan
spitfirejoe@email.com