Re: bonnet gaps and rubbers?

To: <ralemen@cableone.net>, "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: bonnet gaps and rubbers?
From: "Ree Gurley" <reegurley@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 13:03:45 -0500
It seems to me that the lateral position of the two bonnet cones might have
some effect on the rear center of the bonnet (when closed).  The cones, of
course, can be lengthened or shortened to establish the proper bonnet level;
they can also be adjusted laterally about 1/2".  My 2 cones are both
positioned at the innermost edge of their slot, so when they marry to the
closing-ring (on the scuttle) upon bonnet closure, they presumably tend to
splay the rear bonnet outwards a bit thus stretching, rather than buckling,
the whole rear edge of the bonnet.  In any case, by bonnet doesn't vibrate
(though I rarely drive the Spit above 55 or 60 mph).

Cheers, Ree G. in Silver Spring, MD  -  FM73070U O