Re: Spit slave cylinder access question?

To: "Dave Willner" <dwillner@icontech.com>,
Subject: Re: Spit slave cylinder access question?
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 18:14:54 -0800
Gaining access to the slave cylinder is one of the few areas our Triumphs
were pretty well designed.  While you could technically get to it from
under the car, it's more comfortable (and drier!) to do so by removing the
transmission tunnel cover.  This is held in place by a bunch of screws
around the perimeter and a few snaps.  You'll need to remove the radio and
the "H" bracket assembly for the dash as well as the transmission shifter
knob.  The boot should ideally be attached to the cover, but who knows what
is there after twenty plus years, right?

The slave cylinders do go out over time.  If someone has used DOT 3 brake
fluid in the car's lifetime, then the life of those seals in the clutch
master and slave cylinders are shot.  Typically if the slave cylinder is
leaking, it's a good sign to either rebuild or replace both the clutch
slave and clutch master cylinders.  They aren't expensive and the peace of
mind is worth it.

-Vegaman Dan