Re: Spit slave cylinder access question?

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spit slave cylinder access question?
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 21:48:15 -0500
Actually DOT3 was specified as the fluid to use in the braking
and clutch hydraulics according to my '78 owners manual (and
likely to your '80 model as well).  While earlier British hydraulic seals
were undoubtedly destroyed by DOT3, it is my belief that by
the 70's it could no longer be practical to have the most common
brake fluid - one that was used in the overwhelming majority
of autos and one that the average owner/mechanic would utilize
without a second thought - incompatible to the point of
rendering the brake system inoperable considering the
changing attitudes towards maintenance and the increasingly
litigious nature of Triumph's largest market, the US.

Is DOT4 better?  Likely.  But I did want to point out that the
owners manual says DOT3 is OK.

My .02.

Greg Rowe