Re: 65A Alternator; wire concerns....

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 65A Alternator; wire concerns....
From: "Steve W. Reilly" <Luckyone@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 18:43:54 -0500
Hey James,

Can't remember for sure, I think the stock alternator wire on your spitfire
is 65 strand (or perhaps 84)

This wire size is only meant to carry a max amperage of 35A/42A or so.  As
long as you don't have an excessive electrical load (Think- large car
stereo, High powered CB radio, electric heater), you should be fine.  The
alternator will only charge as much as it needs to.  I don't think
jump-starting another vehicle would be a good idea either, with upgraded
alternator and stock wiring.

If your car is Just stock, or has minor electrical "upgrades", you will be
fine.  Be sure to check all connections for corrosion.  Do not let the
battery run down (like having the car just sitting for months, or listening
to the radio all day with engine off), else the alternator may have to put
out large amounts of current after the car has started up.

Steve Reilly
'70 GT6's