Stock manifold vs. 4-1 header

To: "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "NASS" <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Stock manifold vs. 4-1 header
From: "Bill Gingerich" <wrgingerich@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 01:07:53 -0500
Greetings, Fellow Listers,

Insomnia grips me as I write this.  I'm not usually a 1:00 AM kind of guy.
Anyway, I need a memory refresh: does a 4 into 1 header offer any real
advantage over the stock manifold on a basically stock 1500 street motor?  I
believe previous discussion reached the conclusion that 4-1 only helps at
high RPM.  I rarely, if ever, run above 5000.  The only mods to the engine
are Pertronix ignition and flat top pistons.  Stock ZS carb and muffler,
too.  The reason I ask is that despite my best efforts, the manifold gasket
has blown again.  Rather than join the "gasket of the week" club, I'm
thinking of going back to the stock exhaust.  If The Lists think the header
offers advantages, I will try it again.  Thanks!

BillG