Re: Stock manifold vs. 4-1 header

To: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stock manifold vs. 4-1 header
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 17:08:04 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@mde.state.md.us>

> It's peculiar that the Spitfire has complaints about this system.  The
> reason I say that is because other vehicles use nearly identical systems
> with no problems.  I suspect there is a face matching problem on those
> Spitfires that blow gaskets.

Most of the other vehicles I've seen with similar downpipe arrangements use 4
fixing studs rather than the Spitfire's 3. The rigid exhaust mounting at the
bellhousing certainly doesn't help, as it forms a convenient fulcrum point,
with the exhaust acting as a lever between the manifold and the rear exhaust
mounts. I have improved (but I would hesitate to say cured) the exhaust blowing
problem by removing the mounting at the bellhousing. This allows the exhaust to
hang freely with less leverage being exerted at the joint as the engine moves
on it's mountings. The problem is too common (in my opinion) to be down to face
matching. Those downpipes and manifolds I've examined on the bench have
certainly been correctly aligned in all respects with good face-to-face
characteristics,
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--