1147cc tune-up carb problems

To: "Spitfire List \(E-mail\)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1147cc tune-up carb problems
From: "Tim Benner" <tbenner@woh.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 22:32:10 -0400
Hello Listers,

I have just finished a bit of a tune up on my MK2 1147 engine.  After
setting the valves at .012,  new plugs, points, condensor, rotor, and dist.
cap and timing,  it does seem to run more crisply.  It idles nicely and runs
okay.  At 1147cc I don't expect it to snap your head back when accelerating
in 3rd or 4th gear,  but acceleration is a bit of a let down.

When you try to accelerate hard it seems to flat out and gurgle for a while
before the engine catches up to the throttle.  It has a clear fuel filter
mounted on the firewall that looks to be flowing well.  I have read a lot of
disussions about SU carbs and needle sizes, but have not had the nerve to
start fiddling with mine yet.  (other than topping up the dashpot oil)

My question is, is there a simple way to make the mixture richer so I can
see if the flatting out is fuel starvation?  Has anyone else had this sort
of problem?  Should I be looking at something other than the carbs?  I have
a spare set of HS2s that I will rebuild.  Any sage advice from SU experts
out there?

Any and all advice will be appreciated!

Tim Benner
1965 MK2