ZS carbs running lean... HELP

To: <The_GT6_Drivers_Group@yahoogroups.com>, <SPIT6CGT6@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: ZS carbs running lean... HELP
From: "mikeross" <mikeross@prodigy.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 19:26:46 -0400
Before rebuilding my ZS carbs, they were running too rich.  Now after
rebuilding them, I can't run the engine without the choke engaged 1/4.

I've balanced them, set the timing at 4 d ATDC, I've set the fast idle screw
as the manual describes and adjusted the mixture to lean them by rotating the
needles full up (turning clockwise from the top of the damper tube) and it
still runs lean.  I've checked for vacuum leaks by spraying carb cleaner
behind the gaskets to the intake manifold and at the throttle shaft with no
change in rpm.

What else can I do?  Do I have to run with the choke on all the time?

Mike Ross    http://pages.prodigy.net/mikeross    updated 06/05/03
'63 Triumph Spitfire
'66 Triumph Spitfire
'70 GT6+  (Maroon)