RE: Wood dash

To: "'Marv Coulthard'" <coulthard@saltspring.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wood dash
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@COX.NET>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 10:10:27 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: spitfires-owner@autox.team.net
[mailto:spitfires-owner@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Marv Coulthard
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 9:31 AM
To: spitfires@autox.team.net

One of my winter projects is a new dash for our 78.  I have one solid
piece
of walnut, next is to take the old dash out (three pieces) use it as a
template and put one piece back in.   (fingers crossed)

cheers
Marv

Marv,
There was a very good reason why Triumph made those dashes out of
plywood instead of solid wood (aside from the cost factors).  The solid
wood has the grain running in a single direction and since there is a
fair amount of stress on that piece, it will easily crack, rendering all
your hard work for naught.  The cross plies of Marine grade plywood will
more evenly distribute that stress and not end up cracking.

 Did mention Marine grade plywood because it will withstand the
environmental conditions of an open car much better than a standard
piece of indoor plywood will.

IMHO, your best bet is to build your dash out of the aforementioned
marine plywood and use a veneer of your choice to finish it off.

Regards,
Joe