RE: Wood dash

To: "Rob Taylor" <rb_taylor@yahoo.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wood dash
From: "Chris Foster" <cfoster@eppcon.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 15:18:28 -0500
>Does anyone have any wood plans, measurements, for the
>dash of a 1980 Spitfire?

Although I don't have the plans, I can tell you what worked really well
for me when I re-did my '76 Spit dash in cherry wood.

To start, I bought a top guided router bit (bearing on the top of equal
radius to the cutting edge below).  Securing the old dash face to the
new wood (face down - the back provides a better guide), I pre-drilled
holes for the router bit to start in and then used the old dash as a
guide for bearing guide.

The dash was done in two stages; the first was a backing plate of 3/8".
After I had all the holes cut properly and I liked the fit, I put the
screws through for the left and right panels and used contact cement to
glue a piece of 1/4" venier to the front.  Then using the newly cut back
as a guide I cut the holes in the face of the new dash.

Good luck!
c.