RE: early/late rear springs, was sagging rear/advice

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: early/late rear springs, was sagging rear/advice
From: M D Nugent <carcentric@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 07:35:55 -0800 (PST)
--- Joe Curry <spitlist@cox.net> wrote: . . .
> The longer axles put a greater load on the weaker springs . . . you
> can eliminate the problem by replacing the spring with a fixed
> spring from an earlier (Mk1-3) Spit. . . .

I think we may have been through this before, but I'm still not getting
it.  Isn't the swing spring longer (eye to eye) than the fixed-center
spring?  It seems as though it would have to be to keep the rear
suspension angles the same given the longer axles used with the swing
spring . . . .

If the fixed-center spring is shorter, it would cause a lot of negative
camber when installed into a longer axle (later) car, but that's not
mentioned, so where's my misunderstanding?

M D "Doc" Nugent - http://www.carcentric.com
Seattle area

Check out the New Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things
done faster.

===     http://www.vtr.org