RE: early/late rear springs, was sagging rear/advice

To: "'Dennis Reese'" <dennis_reese@verizon.net>,
Subject: RE: early/late rear springs, was sagging rear/advice
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 22:43:18 -0700
Let's see if I can summarize the discussion:

1. Andy suggests the possibility of using the GT6 spring, but Paul
disagrees.
2. I suggested that while you can replace the spring, or go with Corvette
type air bags, neither of them are treating the problem, merely the symptom.
Others disagree with that.  Actually, replacing the spring with a new one
will give you a nice arrangement for a few years until that spring again
starts to say so that might be worth considering.
3. Barry, loves the swing spring and if I understand what he said, even
installed one on a rotoflex suspension.  I can't for the life of me
understand why anyone would do that.  It seems to defeat some of the
positive characteristics of that style suspension.
4. Most agree that the longer axles play a large part in causing the spring
to sag.  But getting rid of them in lieu of shorter ones is really out of
the question.
5. We learned the difference in half shafts, axles, drive shafts and prop
shafts.  (At least I think we did)!  :)

Back to the original question, if it were my car, I would install a good
used Mk1/2/3 spring and fit a camber compensator.  You can pick up a spring
for a pittance and the camber compensator costs $185 (just a tad more than a
new swing-spring).  That (at least as far as I am concerned) is the best and
most lasting fix.  The car will have much less body roll and can more easily
be tuned for better handling.

Joe