RE: TR:Spitfire - New Rear Spring - PITA

To: "'Spitfire'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR:Spitfire - New Rear Spring - PITA
From: "Nick Moseley" <nmoseley@dccnet.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 20:47:01 -0800
Shane:
BTDT, got the T-shirt, now I forget exactly how. Gee aging is fun, all those
old skills to re-learn.
Anyway, you are right the bottom leaf doesn't go into the "box". It's a kind
of escape valve, in that if the main spring breaks, the axles won't go too
far. That's why the ends of the bottom leaf encircle the ends of the main
spring.

Keep the sleeve, that allows the back of the car to pivot on the spring, and
I gather was thought to be important.
Reading your message I'd be inclined to undo the four compressing bolts,
insert the sleeve with the leaves un-compressed loose, then tighten up
again. When I did this job, attaching the vertical links to the ends of the
spring was the last thing done.
I seem to recall putting the sleeve in with the spring outside the car,
loosely assembling, getting it onto the diff, then tightening it together.

HTH

Nick Moseley
Near Vancouver B.C.

===     http://www.vtr.org