Re: TR:Spitfire - New Rear Spring - PITA

To: Spitfire <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR:Spitfire - New Rear Spring - PITA
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 00:31:57 -0500
On 27 Dec 2006 at 19:28, Shane Sizemore wrote:

> The new spring looks like the old one, same number of
> leafs. When I took the old spring out, it had the big
> clamp housing on the center that covers the top 4
> leafs. It had a plate (with the 4 mounting holes)
> between leaf #1 and #2 (going from bottom to top).

We are talking about the Mk4/1500 swing-spring, right?  If not then
none of this applies!

I finished re-assembling the rear of Spitfire just a few months ago,
and I'm trying to remember all the details.  What you've described
above is correct.  IIRC, the bottom leaf sits directly into a space
on the top of the diff.  Then there is a bolt and sleeve that acts as
a sort of rocker running longitudinally between the lower leaf and a
plate.  The thing is, I have no recollection of having to mess around
with those plates or any other part.  I just pulled the studs (and
the bolts into the wheel uprights, of course) and the spring just
comes free (after some bumping to lift it out of the space in the
diff).

> I then removed that center nut that holds the big clamp
> housing (holds #2 through #5).

This part doesn't fit with what I remember.  The four long bolts,
actually studs into the top of the diff, hold everything together
once the nuts are in place to tighten it all down on to the diff.  I
don't know what "center bolt" you are talking about.  Perhaps the
spring came with a bolt to hold it together during shipping?

Now, I can see one other thing you might mean.  Maybe you're talking
about the longitudinal rocker thingy.  The plate above has a dimple
that rests on it, right?  Perhaps that is mis-aligned laterally.
That could happen if the leaves aren't positioned properly w.r.t.
each other laterally, I suppose.  You have to use persuasion in the
form of a large hammer or something if that's the case.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com

===     http://www.vtr.org