Anemic Spitfires

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Anemic Spitfires
From: george.r.parker@att.net
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 14:12:08 +0000
John Macartney wrote about the late model Spit that returned to England and was
an utter disappointment to ride in and drive due to it's poor performance.

When I first got my car, it too was fairly sluggish in that department.  By
removing the emissions stuff (air pump, cat, manifold, etc.) and adding a
header and Weber DGV carb, I realized a noticeable improvement.  It still
wasn't going to win any drag races, but it certainly was more fun to drive.

But John also talks about this car being a CA car.  Judging only by the
plumbing diagrams in my Bentley manual, I wouldn't be at all surprised by the
car being so slow - the plumbing on the CA cars looks to be a veritable
nightmare, and can't possibly be contributing to *improved* performance!

As John mentioned, to be a decent driver, the car simply needs work.  No
question in my mind about that.
--
George P.
NASS #290