RE: [Spit] clutch pin query

To: "'Jim Muller'" <jimmuller@rcn.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [Spit] clutch pin query
From: "Bill Gingerich" <bill@gingerich.us>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 20:50:09 -0500
Hi Jim,

It's been 4-5 years since I did the clutch in my '74 Spit, but I remember
having the same questions.  The sleeve that you see in the catalog is what
holds the pin in.  As I recall, it looked like a piece of lightly corrugated
metal that had been rolled into a cylinder.  It slides into the pivot hole,
and then the pin gets driven inside.  The interference fit caused by the
sleeve is what holds the pin.  At the time, I replaced the pin and sleeve in
my car, but I hadn't heard about the bolt trick.  If I had it to do over,
I'd put the bolt in.  I say that primarily because I think I'm now in the
same boat as you.  My clutch is engaging just off the floor, and I'm betting
the pin is sliding out of the sleeve.  FWIW, I don't think the sleeve will
interfere with the bolt fix whether it's in there or not.  Put the bolt
through, and call it good.

Bill Gingerich
1974 Spitfire - Lazarus