Re: [Spit] clutch pin query

To: Jim Muller <jimmuller@rcn.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spit] clutch pin query
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 20:42:11 -0700 (PDT)
Try real hard to find a bolt that has the unthreaded
section sufficiently long to keep the threads from
bearing much of the load.  Using a threaded bolt
as a hinge pin or clevis pin can be a bad idea,
because
the threads will cut into the other parts and/or get
chewed up themselves.

If you feel like being a purist and using the
original-style pin and sleeve:  the sleeve is a bit of
corrugated thin springy sheet metal rolled into a
cylinder.  Its role is to hold the pin in place.
If the old was was stil there, you could probably
push it (or its fragments) out with a long bolt.
But I really wonder why they went with a design where
the pin could just fall out...

Doug Braun
'72 Spit

===     http://www.vtr.org