Re: Spridget rear suspension

To: R Williams <spriteracer@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Spridget rear suspension
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 09:11:37 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Deikis@aol.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, R Williams wrote:

> John,
> I would suggest you buy a panhard bar. If you don't and you have square
> arch fenders you will rub the sidewalls of your tires on the fender lip.
> I found out the hard way this past weekend at an autocross school.  I
> have done the same mods as yout except I have the Winner's Circle front
> bar and I run their 5/8" rear bar. I really like the way it handles.
> Sticks like glue. I just ordered the panhard bar today. Sounds like you
> have the right combo for a real monster.
> Rick Williams
> P.S. I was told the panhard bar makes the car handle better too (less
> oversteer?). I will find out in 5-7 days.

Rick,
For me, the Panhard bar makes the handling much more predictable.  The
oversteer comes on gradually and you can feel it coming.  Before I
installed it, the body would move sideways with respect to the axle,
traction, the axle would snap back to the center and traction was lost
abruptly.

Do you two drive you cars on the street?  How are those stiff springs on
real roads?

                                                           '67 Sprite