Re: Spridget rear suspension

To: ulix@u.washington.edu
Subject: Re: Spridget rear suspension
From: spriteracer@juno.com (R Williams)
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 19:54:33 -0600
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
< Before I installed it, the body would move sideways with respect to the
axle,
traction, the axle would snap back to the center and traction was lost
abruptly.>

I completely agree with you. That's one of the things I noticed when
pushing the car hard at autocross. I can't wait to drive it with the
panhard rod.

<Do you two drive you cars on the street?  How are those stiff springs on
real roads?>

I drive mine about every other day 10 miles or so and it isn't too bad.
It bottoms out once in awhile due to being lowered 2" and the rear is a
whole lot more softly sprung than the front; so the rear seems to bounce
a little when driving over undulating pavement (most pavement in south
Louisiana). I am going to put STP in the rear shocks to stiffen them up.
(Unless anyone thinks this is a bad idea. I read it in Grassroots
Motorsports). I can't really compare it to the stock ride because when I
got the car the susp. was in pretty bad shape. When I gave it the old
time "bounce the corner" shock test I could bounce it , go in the house,
get a beer and come back out to see it still bouncing.

Rick Williams