Re: Spridget rear suspension

To: "Ulix Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>, "R Williams" <spriteracer@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Spridget rear suspension
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 10:14:54 +1000
Cc: <Deikis@aol.com>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Ulix's summary is exactly as I would describe it.

As for spring rates, using the WC 510lb springs on real roads will
drive you crazy, shake everything loose, and cause front end patter.

I have these on the bugeye. Fantastic on the track and very smooth
roads, but not all that flash on the road.

>From the collective wisdom around here, somewhere around the 380lb/in
with a ride height of 1" - 2" lower if you plan to use it on the street.

One thing to watch out for if you do choose to use very stiff springs is
cracks
in the front end structure. Most race/rally cars have had to weld up cracks.
Also you'll need to run a spanner over the steering and front suspension
bits
on a fairly regular basis as they vibrate loose. (I've had this happen to
nylock nuts!)

Mike