Front suspension advice please

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Front suspension advice please
From: Justin Cook <justincook@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 10:45:32 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Thanks to prodding from the list, I put rebuilt shocks on the front of
my sprite (1966).  I was pleased it was so easy.  In the process I
found that the four top bushings were missing or toasted.  I am
wondering if I should just order new bushings or order the whole
suspension kit in the victoria british catalog.  I know it NEEDS the
whole thing redone.  However, I'm kind of concerned about a message
about a month ago talking about a king pin bushing that was supposedly
very hard to replace (I think I was supposed to give burnt offerings
to anyone who could do it in two tries...)  I'm not much of a mechanic
-- this is my second car, and the first I've had to lay hands on.

Question: given that the front suspension is shot (lots of play when
grabbing a wheel, I've already replaced the bearings), should I order
the whole kit?  Does this kit in victoria british (part number 5-309
major suspension kit) contain this horrible king pin bushing? If it
contains the bushing, would I lose anything by replacing everything
BUT the dreaded king pin bushing.  Is it unsafe to drive a car with a
fair amount of play in one front wheel?