Re: rear seal

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rear seal
From: Shawn Knight <eybdoogy@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 23:18:13 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Robert, I'm glad to hear you fixed your ignition problem.  I always find those
be
the most frustrating and it is easy to end up chasing a dead end.  The one thing
you
are sure you did right ends up being the problem.

When you pull your engine before you take off the backing plate look at it.
Usually
you can see what the origin of your leak is.  If there is a lot of oil tracking
down the
plate from where the oil pump is, then that is your problem.  If all the gunk is
concentrated around the rear main seal, ... you get the idea.  I've removed and
replaced the crescent shaped piece with success before.  I follow Les Meyer's
procedure and it works well for me.  I usually get a drop or two of oil on shut
down but nothing major.  I've had far more problems with the oil pump cover on
the backing plate.  How is that thing supposed to be attached anyway?  Mine
appears to have been brazed on by some PO and it has formed some cracks
where it now leaks.  When I first got the car someone had used Blue Permatex
to "seal" the cracks with success.  I have to admit I have continued to do this
because I can't figure out what else to do.  It seems to work pretty well.  If
someone could give me an idea of a more permanent fix I would appreciate it.
Should I fire up the MIG and weld the stupid thing on?  I doubt you are getting
that much oil from crankcase pressure.  Something else is wrong.  My bet is
on a combination of rear main and oil pump.