Re: Oil and Oil coolers

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil and Oil coolers
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 20:09:22 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 3/15/99 4:50:08 PM, ulix@u.washington.edu writes:

<< do they recommend any specific oil?  Synthetic?
Ulix >>

Ulix,

The short answer is not exactly.  I suspect liability and cooperation from
manufactures keeps the author on a middle ground of providing information.
Although the book has a wealth of information for those using RV's.  Now to
address your question.  After a preamble noting that "Few engine manufacturers
recommend synthetics . . . . " he goes on to say "Good synthetics are
generally recognized as having higher performance levels than petroleum-based
oils because of the following:

High-temperture satability
Cold-temperature performance
Improved protection against engine deposits

Among these attributes, better tolerance for high temperatures may be a
primary advantage for RV owners . . . "

The latter is the single biggest reason that we use synthetics in our motor
home, changed over before getting this book based on other documents found
online.  We are slowly started to changing over the rest of our vehicles but
have no strong reason for doing so.

Long winded again.

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)