Re: Strange Grinding Rattle

To: robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>
Subject: Re: Strange Grinding Rattle
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 19:31:42 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
robert weeks wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My Midget has developed a new noise. It's a strange grinding rattle from
> the engine compartment that starts at 3000 rpm.

> Any ideas?

Robert

If it is a rattle, it is most likely the generator pully or bearing.
I have seen the finned fan on the generator slip and make a noise like
the engine was about to self distruct.
To check this try wiggling the gen fan by hand. Or disconnect the fan
belt, this will eliminate the gen and water pump which can also make a
rattle noise.
If you have one of those Asian timing chains, bad news. 1000 miles is
about max on them. (I replaced 2 before I realized what the problem was.
2 different engines, 2 different cars both chains came from asia)

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ