Re: Strange Grinding Rattle

To: robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Strange Grinding Rattle
From: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 10:40:40 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Robert,

You might want to try to isolate the location of the noise. Use a rubber
hose as a "stethoscope". It's hard to diagnose with hearing it, but it
could be in the valve train, or perhaps a rod bearing. Does it do when the
car is stading still and you rev the engine? I hope it turns out to be
something less ominous.

Gerard

At 9:24 AM -0400 5/10/99, robert weeks wrote:
>Hi,
>
>My Midget has developed a new noise. It's a strange grinding rattle from
>the engine compartment that starts at 3000 rpm. The engine is recently
>rebuilt (1000 miles ago) and has good oil pressure. I checked around for
>anything obvious and found nothing lose in the engine compartment.
>
>The sound is present both in and out of gear. At first it thought it might
>be the transmission going sour, it has that type of sound to it, so I
>checked it out of gear and the same sound is there.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Robert

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux