Re: Timing the 1275 ? (vac. advance with a sidedraft)

To: "Bryan Vandiver" <Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM>
Subject: Re: Timing the 1275 ? (vac. advance with a sidedraft)
From: "David Riker" <davidr@sunset.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 21:54:20 -0700
Cc: "Spridget Mail List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Bryan:

Just went out and took a good look at exactly where I drilled the hole.  It
took me two tries to get it right.  The spot is at 11:00 on the front
throat, and goes through the bore only a few thousanths in front of the
butterfly. Too far away from the butterfly and there won't be enough vacuum
to opperate the advance.  The choke (enrichment hole) is a few thousanths
after the butterfly and would be subject to vacuum at all times.  If I
understand vacuum advance correctly, it's purpose is to improve fuel economy
under light load only, like at highway cruising speeds.  At Idle, an engine
has to have minimal advance to prevent backfiring and hard starting.
Centrifugal advance corrects the timing necessary as engine RPM increases,
and Vacuum advance allows the timing to advance or retard based on engine
load (how am I doing so far?)   On a race engine, you would be under load
most of the time, so vacuum advance wouldn't be necessary (hence Cooper
Distributors with no vacuum advance provision).  Manifold vacuum will not
work correctly because manifold vacuum is too high at idle and under
acelleration, resulting in timing that would be too far advanced in both
those situations.

That is how I understand it, anyway.  My fuel economy improved about 4 mpg
highway when I hooked up the vacuum advance.

David Riker
74 Midget
63 Falcon