Spridgets, Bruce, and Midnight Rides [Way Long]

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spridgets, Bruce, and Midnight Rides [Way Long]
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 15:37:29 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Well my day started about 12 Midnight on Fri AM. Got an email imploring
me to take off from a Ride and Drive (where I was earning cash) to
venture 3+ hours to see some old geezers play guitars and a sax.
Well I said I'll see what I can do. Then proceeded to snooze till about
4:30 AM when a car alarm on a Monte Carlo SS in the parking lot decided
to start screaming. With so much going through my head I couldn't get
back to sleep.

So I woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head (and for
those that know me know this is likely to be impossible). Well any way
took a shower. Got up read some mail, surfed a little then got dressed in
khaki pants and white sneakers (on a Sat fer chis' sakes). Took the bent
Midget down to Villanova to participate in a Ride and Drive. Got to drive
a new Ford Focus around following a bunch of millionaires. Our own Allen
Heffner was there as well. And he actually saved my bacon. Thank you SO
VERY MUCH Allen!!

Any way about 2 PM I went to the boss and told him I had an opportunity
to see Bruce Springsteen but I needed to leave now. I had coverage for my
slot (Allen). His reaction "Why are you still here?"

Jumped in the Midget and did a fast cruise down I-276 to Jersey, Up I-95
for a short piece and in about 1hr forty min found myself at Frank
Clarici's front door. With him nowhere in site. Last time I drove there
it took a little over 2 hrs. One stretch of road was pretty cool 571 S in
central Jersey. Winds through trees and little towns. Have to take the
opportunity to pass when you get it, and quickly.

Well I stood talking w/ Franks wife and Ron Soave's cousin for about 20
min waiting on Frank and Ron to get back from a drive in Frank's Sprite.
Anyway changed into the ubiquitous bell bottoms, grabbed a quick
beverage, and off we went, Frank and I in the Sprite, Ron and cousin in
some behemoth of an SUV (actually a nice new Grand Cherokee).

I don't think Frank knows what brakes are for. Slows by downshifting and
chirping the rear tires. (Just kidding Frank). Well up the Jersey Parkway
to the Jersey Turnpike to the wilds of the NYC environs called the
Meadowlands. Playing cat and mouse with every lesser driver we could
find. Pulling into a very long and slow toll line Frank announces "yes,
we have no gas". Toll booth operator tells us to go wrong way from the
Meadowlands to get to a petrol replenishment outlet. Fortunately Ron's
cousin knows the area like the back of her hand, Cuz by the time we made
15 turns and about 2 miles to make a simple U-Turn I was lost.

Pull into Giants Stadium parking lot, on the wrong side of a highway
between us and the Continental Airlines Arena (don't you love these new
fangled sponsor names on sports venues). There on the the side of the
building in 10 foot high letters: Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
- 15 Shows - Sold Out. Well we crossed a pedestrian bridge and entered
the arena.

2 and 1/2 hours later ears ringing we try to get back to parking lot.
Ever see 50,000 people trying to cross one bridge over a highway to a
parking lot? Not a pretty site. Heard "Buses - No Waiting" Head for
buses. Well after waiting about 20 min crushed in a wad of dazed and
confused fans, The Jersey Native gets ahead of us and climbs onto a bus
that breaks down. Another pulls up and off we go, following Franks
repaired bus. Get to parking lot and get back to the Sprite and Jeep - no
Frank. He shows a few later and we wait while the nuts clear the lot. Go
for a late dinner - about 12:30 AM Sun. Then Ron and cousin go their way
and Frank and I head for the Parkway.

After a 90 min cruise on a fairly empty parkway we arrive back at Franks.
in a light rain the last 20 min or so. My new wipers are in a box - in my
house. Pull out the trusty Rain-X do the windscreen and I'm off for home
about 3 AM. Every try to get petrol in Tom's River NJ at 3 AM?

Off and running back up 571 at about 3:40 AM. Remember the Midget is
bent, well it is cross-eyed too. I can see all the way around a right
hander but not so good straight ahead. I mean it is drivable but I put
Halogens in so I can see a loooong way.  Beautiful night for a cruise.
Empty roads, warm, but humid morning. No rain. Get back into PA about
4AM. Down an empty 276 and home at 4:40AM Sun, sky starting to get light.
Remember I said I started on Sat AM about 4:30.

All in all - a great day spent with great Spridget buddies!!

Larry

PS Bruce was FANTASTIC!!! Puts a lot of intensity into his show. Sorry
you all couldn't be there. Hope all is well in LBC land and hope you are
all jealous!!!

PPS Told you this was Way Long

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?