Re: Event participation??

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Event participation??
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 20:57:21 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
List,

Having just finished two and a half years work helping to put on the WCM/CHW
I suppose we should address some of Brad's very good questions.

In a message dated 8/15/99 11:10:32 PM, toyman@htcomp.net writes:

<< I guess I'll throw in my .02 as this is winding down as I have a few
questions
and comments. First,it is stated that these events need to make their monies
back
for the club,Fine, but in the AHCUSA(of which I am a member) are you gonna
make
me believe that the $35 yearly dues are used solely for the publication of the
club magazine(30 pages received about 7-8 times a year)BULL!I get a weekly
magazine with almost 200 pages in it for $40 a year.>>

I do not know what AHCUSA publication costs are but our local club
publication costs are $30/year/member which just barely covers the cost of
our monthly newsletter, 12 b/w pages and about 200 copies. This is in
addition to funds from advertising.  About the only way to get the cost/issue
down is to increase circulation and advertising.

<<I am willing to suggest that some of the dues are used to sponsor the
events such as Mike was attending.>>

AHCUSA provides some seed money for the event.  This seed money helps the
local club with early expenses and completes a contract with the local club
which provides insurance for the event.  If the event has money beyond
expenses, and we think this event will, then the seed money is returned to
AHCUSA.

<<Second, if money needs to be raised for some funding why is there no
provision to
have a gate fee,could it be that there is not enough interest in LBC's
outside of
our group that the average Joe Public is gonna lay down his hard earned cash
JUST
to see your project completed?>>

We think that we addressed most of this question in a prior response so will
not repeat that part.  We do not think that Joe Public is very willing to pay
to see our cars.  Our personal feeling is that it is better not to charge a
gate fee for Joe Public because a) this may be the time that they become
active with LBC's and b) those who bring their cars are the ones who get the
benefits of the show.  These benefits may only be a trophy but they take that
home.

<<Third,is this kind of infighting between the big Healey owners and the
(obviously lesser) Spridget owners indicative of the treatment I can expect
to receive should I decide to attend a Healey meet here in Texas?>>

While in any group of people there are going to be those who are only
interested in some particular area, or in this case, car. We have not
experienced any difference in our interactions with folks with big Healeys.
All across the country we have been welcomed with our Sprite by both big and
little Healey folks.  Since you mentioned Texas let us say that the Texas
Healey Roundup is a great event. This event is just a lot of fun and the
Texas folks have a way of doing an event that is all their own.  This event
is put on by Texas clubs which are chapter clubs of Austin Healey Club of
America (AHCA).

<<When I purchased our box Sprite only our close friends knew that I was
working on it yet I somehow got an invitation from AHCUSA to join,(how did
they
know of my purchase,I didn't tell them?)but as a proud Healey owner, I
joined.Little did I realize that as a member I would be expected (by some
members)to register at  events in my area merely for the opportunity to
attend,pray tell,what are the dues for again?? I don't need a club to enjoy my
car,simple ownership is enough for me,the list here offers freely(for now) and
openly any and all advice that I could ever want.It is not unusual for me to
give
total stangers at Wal-Mart a ride around the block in the Sprite merely to
give
them a taste of the joy that I have on a daily basis.But I will NEVER
register my
Sprite in any event as I feel it is not a good restoration,so this eliminates
me
from attending, if I understand Ed correctly,SO,why do I need to be a member
of
AHCUSA,to notify me of events I'm not welcome at??  Those folks who do
register at the events, I praise you and your efforts to bring your car back
to factory original,I hope you win that trophy in  your class,but I know that
I will not win because my car looks good but is not a frame-off so why pay
$95 for the purists to scoff the car that I am very content with.The list had
a thread two months back that discussed the attitude of the Big Healey owners
to the Sprite owners,I feel that Ed (BN7)settled that debate for me.Last
Question,since I have been enjoying the photos from WCM/CHW that Bob and
Annice were so kind as to post on the list, will I be required to send money
for the viewing pleasure I
received,they are gorgeous cars and I only wish I had the money to make mine
look
as good(a few of the Sprite owners live on a budget) gettin' off the box now.
Brad (seriously considering his need of club membership)(and cheap)Fornal>>

Sorry if you got the impression that these events were only for concours
cars, they are not.  If that was the case, our car would never get a trophy
and as some on the list know it has done pretty well.  We did not put the car
back together with trophies in mind, but is nice to receive the recognition
from your peers for the work you have done.  Also, Concours judging (for
those so inclined) and Popular Choice are not the only activites at these
events.  For WCM/CHW participants their registration fee gave them the
opportunity to also sit down and talk with John and Joy Healey and Roy
Jackson-Moore, drive a ralley, drive a Funkana, attend five technical session
ranging from stating a restoration to electircal problems, compete in Pine
wood derby and RC races. To enter your Healey photographs, models or crafts
in competition.  Except for talking, there were awards for all of the events,
some with various classes.  For instance there were 13 classes in Popular
Choice.

While we are personally concerned with the overall cost to participate in big
events (five days) of which registration is only a small part of the cost,
they do provide an opportunity to meet other owners and be immersed in
Healeys for a few days.  We would most certainly encourage the participation
in the smaller events such at the Texas Healey Roundup, a Friday evening to
Sunday noon event.  We have had so much fun at this event the past two years
that we are already planning on attending next year even though we may not
take a Healey.

Finally, we all enjoy the opportunities to share our cars on those delightful
moments that present themselves in parking lots and other such places.
Healey events are sort of simular but with a larger number of people rather
than the one or two folks that we meet on and off during the course of the
year.

Do not let one inappropriate remark discourage you from enjoying these events.

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Sprite Mk III (in boxes)
Judson Supercharger (in boxes)