Re: Overwhelmed by Mechanic (Long)

To: <Tomsjetta@aol.com>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Overwhelmed by Mechanic (Long)
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 06:43:08 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Tom,

First get a shop manual!!! Either Haynes or Bentley or both. If nothing
else it will help you figure out what a mechanic is talking about.
Second, Where do you live?? Certainly there are some LBC types somewhere
near you that can offer an assist, advice, or a shoulder to cry on ;-).

Simple answer for the translucent tank - it is the cooling system
overflow. From the Thremostat housing (the round aluminum dome at the
front of the head with the hoses attached to it) there is a hose that
goes to the tank at the front of the passenger side engine compartment.
>From there, below the regular looking radiator cap, is a tube where a
hose goes from that tank (the expansion tank) to the translucent one.

Good Luck

Larry

> [...]
>flickers a bit. List member tells this is the result of oil thinning out due
>to high heat. This I can understand. I tell mechanic I obviously want a
>thermostat. I am given a set of instructions I again do not understand. I
>tell him I don't have a clue about this stuff, but it gets me nowhere. So, I
>have no thermostat, no indication mechanic wants to do it for me.
>
>Sadly, I am told that this guy is incredible with these cars. BUT my wife
>and
>I feel like he is simply disinterested in our car, or in helping us get the
>car right. For $350 he replaced a piece of fuel line, the switch for the
>hazard lights, installed the wiper switch, changed the oil, took it for a
>drive, leaned out the carb and made a temporary fix to get the driver's side
>mirror on the car. With my car in his garage, I asked him how to do
>something, and he couldn't show me, write it down, anything. For all the
>praise I hear about this guy, I guess I just don't see it. My local garage
>takes better care of me with my Jetta.
>
>Yes, after today I did ask myself if I should even own this car. I love
>it-but I find it a fault that I cannot diagnose nor service it as a severe
>detriment to those who own and service these cars. I am not trying to be
>ignorant-I simply do not know, but I need to be taught in a way I can
>understand. I only want what is best for this car, and I know I am not the
>person who can provide that service at this time.
>
>Onto the next problem. Mechanic complains that the clutch does not feel
>right-says it should only feel that way if it is new, or if the hydraulics
>are on their way out. I am told to keep track of the clutch fluid. I looked
>at it tonight, and it is filled to the top. I will pray, and hope it stays
>that way.
>
>On the passenger side, under the hood, right above the wheel well, there
>is a
>translucent container with a tube coming out; it looks like it leads to the
>radiator-the container is totally empty. What goes in there? I have the
>original owner's manual, and I can't find it.
>
>I know I've come here with many questions, and I am sure more will follow.
>Please understand that I am learning all of this for the first time. I've
>shelved my male ego and simply confessed I have not a clue how to help this
>car myself. But, I love it, and I love to drive it, and enjoy it. This past
>week, the best part of my day is to fire this car up and go for a drive
>along
>the shore. That alone makes me wonder how I ever got along without this car.
>
>If my mechanic is too elite for a newbie like me, that I can understand. A
>guy almost made me an offer on the car this weekend, and he recommended his
>place where his XJ-6 is serviced, so I might give him a shot. All I know is
>that this car must pass inspection in a few days, so whoever is willing to

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?