re: Tire help

To: type79@ix.netcom.com
Subject: re: Tire help
From: conan@ralvm8.vnet.ibm.com
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 99 16:38:46 EST
Cc: Ajhsys@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
>>On my Sprite Mk. II, I originally mounted 165's and had a problem with
>>them rubbing in the rear. That was more than 6 years ago, so maybe I did

  Were they just "165" or 165/70?
  A 165R13 (note no "/70" or similar designation) usually defaults to
approximately a "/80" aspect ratio.  This would be two sizes larger in
diameter than stock tire diameter.  A 165/70 would be wider than stock
but approximately the same diameter as the stock 145R/13.
  Also, were they on stock or aftermarket wheels?  Width and offset of
wheel make a big difference in tire clearance.
  Now with all that said, I think I remember your car being 99% stock
set up...  :-)   I'm just trying to cover bases. ;-)
    Ed in NC  (I ran 185/60s on 6" wide Vega GT wheels, with a narrow
               spacer at one end or the other.  BUT, I have/had ROUND
               wheel arches and the car was at stock ride height.)