Re: Tire help

To: Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: Tire help
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 18:34:54 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Allen,

205s won't fit, 185s may if your wheels have just the right offset and
you use a Panhard Rod.
Do you know the history of the tires?  How old are they?  How many times
have they been used?
On the street or in autocross?  If they are heat cycled too many times
(old and used on the street) they lose their stickyness.

I also just bought a set of autocross tires (BFG R1s) used.  185/60-13.
2 years old, used for one season of autocross, about half worn.  I
bought them for my Fiat.  They really like at least a 5.5" rim, wider
would be better.  How wide is a Rostyle, 4.5" ?
The tires would be better than street rubber on Rostyles, but they would
perform better with wider wheels.  Unfortunately, the square arch
fenders don't leave you much room.

When my Sprite is back together, I will autocross it with 165/65 street
tires on 5" rims.
Ulix

--
http://students.washington.edu/~ulix/         '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9