Yet another ignition problem

To: "Spridgets list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Yet another ignition problem
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 16:47:30 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hello list:

How can I determine if an electronic ignition system (brand unknown) has
failed?

I ask this because I am once again having difficulty starting the '74
Midget.  Starter is turning the motor, but engine does not start.  Unlike
the previous time this happened, I am now getting a single loud backfire
through the tailpipe when disengaging the key.  On pulling the sparkplugs,
I noticed that the number 4 and 1 plugs were oily, and the center was
grayish tan.  The 2 and 3 plugs were oily and uniformly black.

I tried once again to make certain that all of the distributor wires were
attatched, that the coil wires were clean and connected, and so forth.

Does anyone have any ideas?  The intermittency of these problems would seem
to indicate a significant electrical fault, and though I am not certain
because I can't keep the car running for long enough, I have not been able
to hold a charge in the battery.  But then again, I have been cranking it
quite a bit lately.

Thanks,

Charles
'74 Midget