Re: Yet another ignition problem

To: "Spridgets list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Yet another ignition problem
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 11:24:37 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Well, I started from the begining this morning, checking connections,
replacing the rotor and cap on the distributor.  When I tried starting
again, I hooked up the jumper cables to a running car (I had already run the
battery down trying to start yesterday), and the Midget started on the first
turn of the key (!).  I waited about 60 seconds or so, listening to the
sound of the engine, and everything seemed fine.  However, at the -precise-
instant that I removed the jumper cable from the positive on the Midget
battery, the car stalled out, and resisted all attempts to be restarted.

Thus, my problem is in the battery, right?  Before I go out and buy a new
one, is there any other problem that could cause the car to die at the
instant that the cable has been removed?  Even though it has enough juice to
turn the starter a little bit, and light the headlights, it has been
difficult to hold a charge lately.  I'd been eyeing the alternator.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
'68 Sprite (has yet to fail to start for me)
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com
Bloomfield, NJ