Re: cool ... no lbc

To: David Riker <davidr@sunset.net>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: cool ... no lbc
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 20:16:37 -0800 (PST)
Wind chill actually occurs at any temperature below
your body temp.  If the air is colder than 98.6, the
wind does as you say and accelerates the heat transfer
between the colder air and your skin.  It just makes
better news at colder temps.  Anyone out there from
Phoenix?  Tell 'em what its like at 110 with an open
car window!  It does the opposite, and heats you up
faster.  Regarding the water, them molecules only care
about "real" temperature.

--- David Riker <davidr@sunset.net> wrote:
> I was raised in Anchorage Alaska.  If I remember
> correctly, wind chill only
> occurs at temperatures well below zero degrees
> Fahrenheit.  The wind chill
> is based on the rate of heat loss from exposed skin
> caused by the combined
> effects of the wind and cold. As the wind increases,
> heat is carried away
> from the body at an accelerated rate, driving down
> the body temperature. The
> wind chill shows how cold the wind makes exposed
> flesh feel, and how quickly
> frostbite and hypothermia will occur.
>
> For more on wind-chill:
> http://web.syr.edu/~wrt405/normal/windchill.html