Re: K&N filter source

To: "wizardz" <wizardz@toad.net>
Subject: Re: K&N filter source
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 01:27:56 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Paul,  I have run the K&N "sprite" filter for years on my bug-i.  It has
both pros and cons, on the con side the studs that hold the two plates
together are metric threads on one end and sae on the other. The acorn nuts
take a 10 mm wrench (so keep one handy), and if you break one of the studs
you will have to make new studs as you can not buy them from the place you
get the filter or from K&N.  These filters were made by K&N europe and are
no longer in production.  I learned this all last year. The "stub stacks are
really rough and you can spend hours smoothing them out, with no real effect
on performace.
        On the plus side it is a K&N filter, so it works great and is low
maintance (should be cleaned every 100k miles), and the main advantage I
have found is you can remove the carbs at the intake manifold and set the
whole carb and cable set-up on the side without disturbing the settings,
because of the filter backing plate.  I know you can remove the intake
manifold with the carbs and do the same thing, but even with the stainless
3/8" 12 pt nuts it takes longer to do and if you leave the carbs on the
manifold you can't "port match" the intake when you install it. You can get
a replacement filter from K&N should you need it, just not the plates and
studs.
        Crash