Re: differentials

To: <IfixMGs@aol.com>
Subject: Re: differentials
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 12:56:50 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Wow! I got 5 good answers to this question in the hour it took me to go home
and eat lunch.  This group is incredible.

Thanks to all.  I admit I'm a differential dummy.  I've only swapped them
over the years, never cracked one open.  It sounds like the best bet is to
go with a 3.9 if I can locate one.  The free rotation of the wheel before
the drive shaft begins turning is not what bothers me, its the noticeable
clunk on start up from a stop.  Yes, I very carefully checked both U-joints
first before casting the hairy eyeball on the differential.  If the clunk is
an easily diagnosed and cheaply repaired problem, then my inclination is to
fix it and make no change in the rear-end ratio until I switch over to a
5sp.

                                                            Regards, Glen
Byrns