Re: Structural Repair

To: boxweed@thebest.net, atocci@advanta.com
Subject: Re: Structural Repair
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 19:44:09 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 3/15/2000 6:36:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
boxweed@thebest.net writes:

<< t sounds like a good way
 to match up the new patch panel with the old metal, but what keeps the joint
 from warping when you weld them together?  Any tricks to keep this from
 happening? >>

Bob:   I haven't tried the devices you are talking about but I have heard
from others that they are great.  A couple of ways to match them up are to
match up the edges (using a grinder to get an exact match), then place a
couple of strong magnets on them to hold them there while you tack them
together.  The magnets will hold them level as well.  Another way is to crimp
one of the edges with a hand or pneumatic crimper (I have a pneumatic) so
that it is offset and rides behind the other edge.  You can clamp them with
wide-jawed vice-grips or c-clamps.  This method is great but the gap must be
carefully filled with rubber undercoating or seam sealer in order that it
avoids becoming a rust trap.

As per your question, when you get the edges of the sheet metal lined up (I
really prefer the butt method of aligning to avoid that gap), you tack weld
it about every 3-4 inches.  Then run your beads between the tacks, skipping a
tack or two for each seam.  In other words, picture the following as the dots
being the tacks and the numbers the spaces between the tacks:

                .     1    .      2     .     3    .       4      .      5
  .

I would run a seam in #2, then #4, then #1, then #5, then #3, for example.

This would keep you from overheating the panel and warping it.  To run a
straight bead from 1 to 5 would overheat the panel and cause warping.

Hope this helps.

--David C.