Re: NOS Parts including a NEW NOS Factory bonnet

To: Valentine <valntine@ptd.net>
Subject: Re: NOS Parts including a NEW NOS Factory bonnet
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 12:17:14 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net, HealeyLane@aol.com
If anyone wants me to check out anything they talk to Tom about let me know.  I
bought
my Bugeye basket case from Tom.  Since I bought it in late 1993, I have made a
terrific pest out of myself by begging for parts and information and mining his
vast
experience with big and small Healeys.  Tom is also well versed on the workings
of all
Italian cars and has parts for those also.  I only live about 15 minutes away
from Tom
and am over his house at least once a week.  His back yard is a wonderland of
British
and Italian cars of the 50s and 60s in various states of condition, from basket
case
to show ready.  But, be warned, he thinks that square bodied spridgets are only
good
for parts to upgrade Bugeyes.  He can now cut the useful parts from square
bodies with
a TORCH in less than 15 minutes, throwing out what is left.  Occasionally, if a
square
body comes in that is in good running shape, he will sell that way.  His object
is to
turn cars or get the useful parts.  He cannot restore every car that comes in.
Every
week I go over his house there are half a dozen cars I have not seen before and
just
as many are gone, but there is always a minimum of 20 to 25 cars all over his
property.  I have seen the Bugeye bonnet that will go on EBAY and it is perfect
down
to the raised ridge of the beading.  Think about how much bodywork and prep
would go
into your project car bonnet before painting and the cost if you bought a
"good" one
for 4-500 bucks.
     And yes, Tom is as honest a guy as you will find, and no you will probably
not
find a cheaper source of NOS used spridget parts anywhere.  My restoration
would not
be anywhere near as complete as it is without his help on parts and his
knowledge of
these cars.  He has my vote as the place I go FIRST to find something.
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite