Re: NOS Parts including a NEW NOS Factory bonnet

To: "Kent J. Miller" <Bushwacker4@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: NOS Parts including a NEW NOS Factory bonnet
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 00:22:07 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Kent,  Let me take these one at a time.

>So that means if I have a brand new, in the box, OEM replacement part that
>is designed to exactly replace a part that is original to the car, it is
NOT
>a NOS part because I own it and I am not a factory supplier?

It would not be a NOS part if it wasn't produced during the production run
of the car.  If made after the production run then you are right it would be
a OEM replacement part.  That may not be a big difference to you, but if I
sold you my NIB-OEM tach drive generator with a 62 date code as a NOS part
for your 59 bug-i would you care? I would if I was paying top dollar for a
NOS part, I would even consider this to be fraud.

 Even if unused,
>once it falls into a consumers hands, it is considered USED.

    Only if it was used, if NIB then it would be either NOS or OEM.  Why
would that change just because you own it?  So would any part on my bug-i
that came from the factory be NOS even if it has been used for 30 years?

Therefore,
>there is such a thing as NOS used parts that are New, Old and Stock but
>unused!!

I don't even know what you mean by this?  NOS means "NEW  OLD STOCK" not
NEW, OLD, and STOCK.   If you bought it and keep it in the box or whatever
it would still be NOS, unless you installed it in your car and used it.

>I believe the common meaning of NOS is that it has not been used on a car
>yet.
    So that means that a Moss "donkey dung" water valve is NOS.  Not even
close.  The common meaning of NOS seems to be that I have this part I want
to sell you for big bucks.  Actually NOS has no meaning anymore if it no
longer stands for what it was to begin with. Any of you Law types have a
Blacks Dictionary?

 It may be NIB or without the box, etc. Example: I have a headlight
>gasket (Lucas part # 554279) that is still in it's original black, white
and
>red paper envelope with the Lucas seal and it says "service part". I would
>call it a NOS part but it is used since I own it and I'm not a supplier,
but
>it has never been on a car.

    If you don't know for a fact that it was made during the production run
of the car then call it what it is a "new OEM replacement part".
        Crash