Re: TR2/3/3a Versus Sprite Mk.I

Subject: Re: TR2/3/3a Versus Sprite Mk.I
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 11:24:24 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
I have a couple of those stories.

I was at the auto parts store picking up an alternator for the "boring
car".  As often happens in Columbus, Ohio, I was parked next to a
severely jacked up pickup with tires the size of Volkswagens.  When I
came out of the parts store, I saw the owner of said vehicle, with his
girlfriend on his arm, looking at the Midget.  I heard the following
conversation as I walked to the car:

He: Loookatthat.  What kind of red-blooded man would drive a silly
little car like that?
She: Shut up, Billy!  I think it's cute!

I said nothing, tipped my cap to the lady, got in and drove away.  A
glance in my rear view mirror showed Billy still standing there,
suspecting that he'd been slammed, but not sure how...

More recently, a young couple dressed in '70s-retro were looking at the
Midget as I walked up.  She was obviously fascinated by the car.  We
struck up a conversation as I opened the driver's door, and asked her if
she wanted to get behind the wheel.  She did, and the young man
bristled.  I took him aside, and said "Look, I'm NOT hitting on her.
Heck, I'm old enough to be her Dad.  But, she obviously REALLY likes the
car.  Here's my business card.  I'm not selling mine, but drop me an
e-mail, and I'll get you in touch with folks who have one for sale."
Took him a second to flash on the idea that I was trying to HELP him,
but once he did, he turned out to be a nice guy.