Re[2]: New Jersey Inspection

To: busyrider@springmail.com
Subject: Re[2]: New Jersey Inspection
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 19:01:19 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hello busyrider,

Thursday, July 05, 2001, 9:08:21 AM, you wrote:

bsc> Bill,
bsc> Not only sounds valid but easy to fix.
bsc> You can lean out the carbs or retard the timing to reduce CO.

bsc> 1.The window could be argued but it probably has to do with a safety
factor that there must be a clear window to see through for safety and
visibility.

I suppose but I have no top on the car.  I have one in the garage but
it is not installed.  Larry Macy could never live in NJ, he has not
had a hood on his car in years.  I wonder about early Jeeps, they
probably had the top as an option.

bsc> 2.This is logical. Brake lights are red.

I'll agree with this one.

bsc> 3.The requirement for door handles makes sense. The driver and passenger
have to be able to exit a car in emergencies.

Since I have not top getting out of the car in an emergency would not
be a problem.  I will reluctantly agree this may be necessary for even my
car.

bsc> 4.Pedal pads are another safety item. I wouldn't want the driver of the
car coming at me or behind me to have his foot slip off the brake or clutch and
hit me or injure me.

I'll also agree on this one.  I was talking to my sister and she saw
them fail a guy for this, but his car (either a TT or a jag) had metal
pedals with holes for non-skid from the factory.  Did not matter he
failed anyway.   What should you do in that case?  I bet the guy puts
some black electrical tape on the pedals and passes.

They had 5 inspector looking over my car for 15-20 minutes.  Seemed
like overkill to me.   One thing they over looked that I should have
failed for was a wiper arm that works but does not touch the window.
I need a strong spring.

One other thing this is the third time through NJ inspection with
these flaws and the first time any of them were flagged.  I wonder if
they changed the rules or are they more on the ball.   I just think it
is the NJ auto crap shoot.

--
Best regards,
 Bill                            mailto:w.gilroy@verizon.net