Re[2]: New Jersey Inspection

To: "Ptegler" <ptegler@gouldfo.com>
Subject: Re[2]: New Jersey Inspection
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 19:09:50 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hello Ptegler,

Thursday, July 05, 2001, 9:12:44 AM, you wrote:

P> You may want to check those 'post failure' requirements
P> again. Maryland is the same way. If you fail emissions,
P> you're suppose to prove you've had someone look it over
P> (professionally) before they'll test it again. They don't want the
P> average joe to just tweak something and come back and try to pass again.

I just read the documentation they gave me (about 40 pages) and they
state, "You must have the necessary emissions repairs done by a
registered Emissions Repair Facility (ERF) or you may make them
yourself."  Not really sure what that means.  I will find a friendly
garage and pay $75 to get them to pass the car.  Not sure what happens
if you fail a second time.  I would want to read the law before I make
that blunder.

P> One way around it is if you can prove you've spent more than $150
P> trying to correct the emissions, they'll issue you a waiver for that test
cycle.
P> Hhmmm... stupid but true... spend $150 professionally....
P> and you can spew any emissions level you want. Stupid isn't it!

In NJ if the car is older than 1980 it has to pass on the idle test
and not the rolling road.  All vehicles must pass an idle test.  If it
is 1980 or new, you must pass an idle test, but you can fail the
rolling road if you can prove you spent $200 to fix the car.  That is
subject to change at the end of 12-2001.

--
Best regards,
 Bill                            mailto:w.gilroy@verizon.net