Re: Rust Control Recommendations

To: DLancer7676@cs.com, thistle_3619@yahoo.com, spridgets-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rust Control Recommendations
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 12:10:34 -0800
I do basically the same thing. Phosphoric acid will dissolve the rust and
you can use a wet sponge to wipe up. You really shouldn't paint over the
dried film or the black stuck. if you have crusted rust, you will still
have active rust underneath it. Best bet if you want to be thorough as
fast, is wire brush as much as possible and then let the phosphoric acid do
it's work. I remove ALL remnants of the rust, otherwise it will keep
growing. I usually primer with Rustoleum or any good primer before the
undercoat though. I recommend you use a rubberized undercoating product
though as it's more durable than the non rubberized type. Also the
rubberized type is paintable and dries faster. I've used Evercoat, 3M,
Marhyde and Bondo. I like the Evercoat best, but it's harder to find, OI
think Bondo second.

Phosphoric acid is available at Home Depot or hardware stores as Jasco Prep
'n Prime. Someone mentioned recently the it's available at food suppliers
in bulk quantity. Use gloves as it will chap your skin.

Gerard

--
Please visit Four Points Travel -
http://www.gerardsgarage.com/fourpoints