Adjusting Tachometer

To: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Adjusting Tachometer
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 00:39:13 -0800 (PST)
After a lot of blood, sweat, and tears and in addition
some badly mauled knuckles, Bugsy now possesses a
working oil pressure and temperature gauge. For any of
you fortunate enough never to have to undertake this
task you don't know what you are missing. Lots of
other fun jobs to do on a LBC than stand on your head
upside down and try to get your hands under the dash
that was obviously put together by Munchkins.

I removed the tach to get at the dual gauge. I cleaned
up all of the tach connections and used the Dremel
tool to polish all of the connections. Tech works fine
except for the fact that Bugsy idles at an indicated
3,000 RPM when I know its about 1,000 RPM. How do I
adjust the sensitivity of the tach so I can drive
Bugsy without feeling like the engine will explode any
minute, that and keeping the tach from damaging
itself.

BTW, Bugsy went for his first real ride around the
block today. Managed to spill coolant all over garage
changing out the sensor so I needed to pull Bugsy out
of the garage. Beautiful day here in Dayton, 60
degrees and sunny. Bugsy is undergoing an interior
replacement and the seats are out of the car. No
matter, place seat back in car, not it wasn't bolted
down, and backed car out of garage. Bugsy took one
look at the street and he just wanted to get up and
go. Got to do a few full throttle blasts up and down
my street and around my neighborhood block. Engine
feels quite strong. Tranny really noisy in first but
much quieter now that I found out it didn't have any
oil in it. DPO left another thing out when he put the
car back together after an engine and tranny
transplant. Brakes are new all aound and need to be
pumped twice to get up any decent pressure. I've bled
brakes twice now but maybe need to do it one more
time. Brakes will need time to seat themselves and get
broken or should I say braken in.

All in all a fun experience for our first joy ride
around the block. Interior hopefully finished in the
nextfew days and then the bodywork commence.

=====
Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH