Re: Re[2]: anti-pollution in LA LA LAND.

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: anti-pollution in LA LA LAND.
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 20:50:58 -0800
Take for example the child car seat laws.  All children up to age 6 AND 60
lbs must be in a DOT approved child safety seat in California.  Yet all of
the seats made for children over 40 lbs require the use of the vehicle's
shoulder harness.  That means once my daughter turns 4, she will not be able
to ride in my Falcon until she is 6 AND 60 lbs due to the fact that it is
only equipped with lap belts.  They can't force me to install the belts, but
I can't drive the car with  out them???  In the 1970 Torino, the only
shoulder harness is in the front seats.  So now instead of riding in the
center rear (the safest place in the car) I have to put her car seat in the
passenger front seat (the most deadly position in the car) to drive legally.
Try to make sense out of that one!  Make it worse.  The welfare mom with her
1992 Escort.  It isn't equipped with shoulder harnesses in the rear, and has
motorized front shoulder harnesses that also won't work with a child safety
seat.  There is no way a person in that situation can take her child any
where in that car.  Again, they can't make you add the belts, you just can't
drive without them.
David Riker
63 Falcon
70 Torino