Re: rear drums

To: Larry Macy <macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rear drums
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 07:25:10 -0500
My '91 318is and my '89 Camry have rear discs that work like the F150's - small
drum cast into the rear disc in which resides parking brake shoes. '91-'98
Saturns (and others, I'm sure) had a rear caliper piston with a screw thread on
it, so that pulling on the handbrake cable turned the piston and squeezed the
disc. I guess the screw thread was pitched such that fluid pressure would push
and rotate the piston out in "normal" braking. Apparently either GM figured it
out or stole it from somebody...

-=Chris

Chris King   - cbking@alum.rpi.edu
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kvcbk/