Re: newbie questions

To: RBHouston@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: newbie questions
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 12:54:34 -0400 FILETIME=[CFAE6AB0:01C329F0]
Might as well jump in as well - I'm a newbie to the group too.

Picking up a '64 (and then some!) Austin Healey Sprite from a good buddy of
mine.  BRG, Wires, 1098.  Needs lots of work, my buddy is a self-confessed
DPO.  He drove this car in H.S., in the Erie, Pennsylvania area.  He is into
ITC racing now (CRX's) and doesn't have time for the little beauty.

I'm a former Triumph guy (owned 2 spitfires, '72 and '71).  Loved the
Spridget models for years, even helped (yeah, right) w/ the Rivergate Racing
(5 spd conversions, etc.) team w/ their '73 round-wheel arch Midget (ITD) -
what a car.  I only saw it break down once, and that was after it was passed
off to a relative for racing.  What a nice car.  Nice folks, too (the
Perry's).

I also have a good buddy of mine who has helped to fuel my never ending love
of british autos - a cool story can be found here:
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/track/trackday.html.  Jeff's '65
AH is a beauty!  That was a cool day, we had a comaro of Triumphs vs.
Spridgets, street and track, w/ everyone swapping cars.  That brit-flag spit
was fast!  The '65 sprite was fun at Road Atlanta on the wires.  The turbo
rotary Sprite (black w/ teeth) was awesome - 'til it caught fire.  2nd time
that week, I believe.  The ro-spit was fast, too!  Fun, fun, fun.  I even
got to drive the white mustang while the guy took pics - wonder if it was my
driving that was causing the 'poor fellow' to flop around in the back...

This car needs everything, so I'll be asking lots of questions, once I pick
it up.  Can't wait.  This is going to be fun.

Now, onto the questions:

Guns - many.  Love 'em.  Everything from shotguns to pistols to air rifles!
Been eyeing a slingshot...  I live in GA where they hand out CCW permits
like they do voting cards...

Dogs - lost my German Shepherd/Doberman mix last year, kidney failure.  Want
a yellow lab, but will probably get my wife a full German Shepherd (family
protection and all).  Dogs (copilots) rule!

Cats - kicked my last one out the door, she was sweet but no Dog.  She is
living the high life with a friend and has a much better life than I could
ever give her...

Music - I'm a guitarist/bassist (yeah, right), been in different bands
ranging from folk (buffett, csny, america, dave matthews, neil young, rem,
birds, etc.) to christian rock (third day, sonic youth, etc.) to psychadelic
(zepplin, stones, hendrix) to blues (my fav - hendrix again, srv,
bb/freddie/albert king, etc.).  Now that I have 2 daughters I have no time
for all the hobbies, so it's cars and kids.

Scrapple - Hmm, it's a pork product, right, so it's got to be good....  pass
the syrup!

On Michigan - hmm, I was saved here.  Both my parents went to Michigan State
University, my dad grew up in E. Lansing, 3 mi. from the university...
close to you probably (Chris).  They had the good sense (grin) to move out
long before I was born.  I was born in Greenville, S.C., but they moved me
to Mundelein, Il., long enough (7 yrs) to freeze me and make me hate the
cold!  Now I live in balmy (yeah, right, the olympics is over!) metro
Atlanta GA.  I'll take the heat anyday!  It's convertible weather here 12
mo. a year...

Ok, enough rambling.  Glad to be here everyone!!

Chip

Chip Mautz

Team Cheapskate Racing
'88 BMW 528e (Helga the commuter/track car project/deerslayer x 2 - new and
improved!)
'64 Austin Healey Sprite (Rusty!  British Racing Green!  Wires Wheels!
Taking delivery July 3rd...)
'02 Toyota 4Runner (support vehicle/kid hauler)