RE: GPS Questions - No LBC

To: "'Kevin Valentine'" <valntine@ptd.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: GPS Questions - No LBC
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 12:04:34 +0100
Hi Kevin,

I don't have one of the dedicated GPS Handhelds, but what I use is the
Compaq iPAQ (Microsoft PocketPC) with a wireless Bluetooth GPS receiver.  I
like this solution because I can pick and choose the map software I want to
use.  When I am driving, I have a package called Destinator that contains
all of the roads in the US and Europe.  You can load all of the maps at one
time, and be able to drive between any two points in the US.  If I am doing
outdoor stuff, there is a software package called TopoUSA that allows me to
load topographic maps of the US into the unit.  It costs just a bit more
than a dedicated handheld GPS, but for me, the flexibility more than covers
the cost difference.

If anyone would like more details, or product links, let me know.

Greg Gowins
'69 Sprite (in California)
Milano, IT