Re: Retorquing Head

To: "Guy R Day" <grday@btinternet.com>, "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@exit109.com>
Subject: Re: Retorquing Head
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:34:55 -0000
Cc: "Spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
I suspect that the difference is that modern cars seem to invariably use the
stretch bolt method.
Tightenning to a particular torque and then by a further accurately
specified number of degrees.

Earlier designs were straightforward torque settings. Or do em up tight and
then re-check after a bit.  I guess head gasket material has changed to.
 For many years, not having access to a torque wrench ( they were
expensive!) I used to cope perfectly well torquing everything by "feel" and
never had problems with standard 1950/1960's machinery

Guy